Dapo AkinosunMay 25, 2017
Bashir RamoniMay 25, 2017
Victoria has over two decades of experience representing and advising government and several multinationals on public utility contracts. Combining experience in litigation with public sector/ regulatory savvy, she has acted for a number of governments, parastatals, and multinationals. Victoria’s input is invaluable in any dispute resolution or public-sector engagement. This work includes representation before the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court. Victoria ‘s expert trial and appellate skills has seen her engaged in some of the most complex dispute situations. Victoria’s incisive opinion on commercial litigation issues is pivotal to any review and advisory process. Victoria is an Arbitrator and also a Certified Mediator which expertise she has continuously applied successfully in several public and private dispute resolutions matters.
- Nigerian Bar Association
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Taxation
- Certified Mediator
Qualifications, Admissions and Recognitions
- University of Lagos (LL.M)
- Admitted to Practice in the Nigerian Bar,
- University of Lagos (LL.B)
- Taxation & Revenue Law
- Public Sector Regulatory Law
- Public Interest Litigation
- Corporate commercial litigation
- Arbitration Law
- Family Law
- Real Estate and property law
- Labour law
- Represented some State Governments and the Federal Government of Nigeria regarding a claim of over N600billion as damages in a trans-border litigation on consumer protection, product liability tort and negligence against local and foreign entities
- Represented the interests of the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS) in a suit for the recovery of N700 Million worth of unremitted tax against an upstream oil and gas company. Assisted the LIRS in reviewing the tax evasion strategies adopted by the oil company.
- Represented a state government in several precedential cases at the Supreme Court including the dispute between the federating units and the federation regarding creation of local councils;
- Represented private local company in connection with complex and contentious shareholder disputes and eventual settlement (included issues relating to majority vs. minority shareholders, alleged shareholder oppression, fiduciary duties of shareholders and directors, and the like).
- Represented significant foreign owner of local business in dispute with the local co-owner. Extra-litigation resources deployed to address issues relating to financial reporting and working to attempt to avoid costly litigation, as well as negotiations concerning restructuring.
- Various representations involving negotiating executive employment agreements, negotiating separation arrangements, structuring of flexible compensation arrangements, and handling of management/ board disputes.
- Statutory and Regulatory Appraisal/ Investigation Representation including before the National Assembly and State legislature, EFCC, et al
- Represented service to indigent and vulnerable residents of Lagos State in Partnership and Collaboration with the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) of Lagos State in civil and criminal cases at both the trial and appellate courts.
- Defended State Tax Authorities in a multi-million-naira tax liability against an oil service company at the Tax Appeal Tribunal;
- Participated in election petition matters up to appellate court;
- Lead team in a successful high profile libel claim of N1.1billion
- Lead team on the Advisory and Legal Team consulting for State Government in resolving oil spillage and other environmental issues against pipelines operators and other regulatory corporation in the recent time;
- Senior team member representing some State Governments and Federal Government of Nigeria for the claim of over N600billion as damages in trans-border litigation concerning Consumer protection, Tort of Product liability and Negligence against local and foreign Tobacco Companies;
- Engaged in human rights actions against defaulting government agencies / departments and defensive team leader for the firm’s pro bono cases in criminal and family matters.
- Currently engaged in a high profile telecommunication Mediation and Arbitration