Employment RelationsMay 24, 2017
Private Equity & Venture CapitalMay 24, 2017
The opening-up of the domestic gas markets by the National Gas Master Plan and the National Gas Supply and Pricing Regulations 2008, represents the seeds of a competitive internal gas market within Nigeria. Prior to this, the Electricity Power Sector Reform Act 2005 had enacted a schedule for unbundling and privatizing the segmented subsectors of the electricity market. The Domestic Supply Obligation (DSO) under the Gas Regulations 2008 has provided the most critical catalyst of Nigeria’s potentially massive electricity markets- Gas. An understanding of the novel gas regime and electricity regulation is key to a successful and seamless implementation of any business strategy designed to meaningfully engage the novel opportunities presented by these policies.
As the lead adviser to Nigeria’s aggregator company, coupled with prior effective engagement with the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), SCP is positioned to provide an unparalleled insight to navigating any uncertainty concerning oil, gas and electricity related work. Not only are our clients assured of a measure of certainty regarding regulatory compliance questions, we also provide a steersman’s view of all relevant documentation involved in the industry.
How We Can Help
- Oil and gas – We are involved in providing advisory services in the upstream and downstream sub-sectors. Our advisory services cover the entire oil and gas network in Nigeria and we understand all the varying standpoints from acquisitions, DSOs, to purchase, gathering, and transportation.
- Electricity – We act on all aspects of the power business including development, construction, operation, financing, regulation, acquisition and disposition of power generation, transmission, distribution, trading and marketing. We also routinely advise relevant government agencies on the development of appropriate regulatory regimes.
Some of the key achievements of our Energy Group are listed below:
- Advised investors in the acquisition of upstream assets in Nigeria’s oil industry, including negotiation of acquisition, joint venture agreement, joint operating agreements, and financing arrangements from both local and foreign investors to the acquisition process.
- Advised project developers/investors on project financing, structure and joint venture arrangements for the development and implementation of exploration and seismic study phase of Gasop’s Block 10 in the Saltpond Basin Offshore, Ghana.
- Consulting for Lagos State Government in resolving oil spillage and other environmental issues against pipelines operators and other regulatory corporations;
- Advised a foremost gas company in Nigeria in a multi-disciplinary review and re-structuring of its operations in line with emerging Legal & Commercial developments in Nigeria’s energy industry.
- Reviewed Gas Transmission Agreements between a leading gas company in Nigeria and a power plant in Lagos.
- Reviewed Gas Sales and Purchase Agreements between a leading gas company in Nigeria and industrial captive power generators
- Advised a leading Nigerian IPP regarding its on-going development of a 500 MV Independent Power Plant.
- Provided lead advisory services to Gas Aggregation Company Nigeria (GACN) in developing, review of all template transactional and network arrangements ranging from GSPA, GTA, Escrow Agreement, Service Agreements, Network Code, Take-or-Pay Aggregation Rules.
- Advising the Osun State Government in the development of a solar power plant between the Osun State Government and a French energy firm.
- Advised a multilateral finance institution on financing and security structuring regarding its lending to a state for the acquisition of state’s share of the acquisition of Port-Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company.
- Advised bidders in the sale of the power distribution companies (Discos) by the BPE concerning regulatory, contractual and other legal aspects of the proposed sale at the recently concluded bidding process for the Discos by the Bureau for Public Enterprise.
- Conducted due diligence on Application for Generator Licence and other transactional services in respect of Ewekoro Power Plant.
- Advised Vertex Energy Limited on requirements of Local Content Law, finance structuring including negotiating and documenting Series A Round Financing and Earnest Deposit Arrangements for purchase of an Oil Mining Lease.
- Represented DWC regarding various aspects of its drilling rig development and financing in Nigeria including successful representation in respect of claims arising from the inspection of Northern Offshore’s Drilling Unit Energy Searcher.
- Advised in the asset due diligence, corporate structuring and corporate financing of the acquisition of OML 40 from SPDC, Total and NAOC.
- Advised sponsors and financiers in the financing of the Total E&P Limited contract for Engineering, Procurement, Supply, Construction and Commissioning of OML 42 by 45Km O.U.R Gas Pipeline Project.
- Advised a major international oil &gas trading outfit on a matter relating to potential criminal & civil liabilities for crude oil, bunker fuel & LNG arising from transactional operations in Nigeria.
- Successful representation of Addax regarding multifarious and multijurisdictional issues arising from oil bloc acquisition and operation;
- Representation of Eternal Oil and Gas Plc in a significant dispute relating to crude oil sale and purchase agreement with Tubbs Marine.
- SCP advised potential buyer in the proposed sale of electricity distribution company by the Bureau of Public Enterprise concerning regulatory, contractual and other legal aspects of the proposed sale.