Securities LitigationMay 24, 2017
Victoria AlongeMay 25, 2017
Dapo Akinosun leads the Energy and Infrastructure Projects team and is a member of the Trial Department. He represents clients in all energy related transactions.
Dapo provides valuable and resourceful counsel and guidance in all stages of the energy and natural resources sectors including statutory and regulatory compliance regimes, negotiation and preparation of financing, structural and operational contractual documents and top-tier interaction with regulatory authorities. He also acts for major banks, ICT companies and foreign clients with interests in Nigeria. Dapo advises on all aspects of commercial law including business structuring and reorganization.
Committed to excellence and strong dedication to his clients, Dapo has consistently obtained outstanding results, both in and out of the court: Dapo has litigated a wide range of commercial cases including issues relating to a large-scale and complex financial corporate fraud, oil spill and environmental damages, shareholder trade secret, non-competition, and commercial disputes in state and federal courts and before arbitrators. In the immediate past, Dapo successfully coordinated the trial-court and appellate strategy development and implementation in the successful prosecution of the Election Petitions in Osun, Ekiti and Edo States.
- Nigerian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
QUALIFICATION, ADMISSIONS & RECOGNITIONS
- B.A (Ife, Nigeria)
- LL.B (Lagos)
- Admitted to Practice in the Nigerian Bar
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Licensed as a Notary Public of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Advising project developers/investors on project financing, structure and joint venture arrangements for the development of Gasop’s Block 10 in the Saltpond Basin Offshore, Ghana.
- Advised Vertex Energy regarding finance structuring including negotiating and documenting complex shareholder agreements amongst various investors.
- Represented DWC regarding various aspects of its drilling rig development and financing in Nigeria including successful representation in respect of claims arising from the inspection of Northern Offshore’s Drilling Unit Energy Searcher.
- Handled numerous private placements for oil marketing, services and manufacturing companies, including disclosure and securities compliance.
- Provided structural and other advice and documentation for a new-entrant aviation company, including restructuring of share options, documentation of employment agreements, restricted stock agreements, and agreements governing investor rights and rights of first refusal and co-sale.
- Provided legal consultation and advice to transnational firm in relation to investment in the construction of private terminal at Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, Lagos.
- Involved in the ongoing issuance of the $2Billion Lagos State Infrastructural Bond, including leading the legal review of litigation portfolio, material contracts and constitutionality of the Bond issue. Role included preparation and advice on enabling local debt legislation and trust indenture agreement.
Dapo frequently speaks to various organizations and groups about social, political, legal and civil rights and business ethics issue. He is also a writer and is responsible for several professional papers and publications.