Commercial and Criminal LitigationMay 24, 2017
Election PetitionMay 24, 2017
At SCP, our lawyers assess clients’ legal risks and liabilities and identify problems before they arise. When disputes occur, we assist in devising and implementing the right strategy. Where litigation is required, our lawyers have the experience and knowledge to tackle complex issues in court, advocating aggressively and incisively for clients. Where arbitration, mediation or other forms of Alternative Dispute resolution (ADR) are the best approach, our lawyers are recognized among the world’s best.
Our clients include both the national and sub-national governments, regulatory agencies and also industry players ranging from energy, corporate finance, engineering, manufacturing, financial and IT services. Our range of representation to these clients includes disputes encompassing asset ownership, shareholding, financing, intellectual property, fraud, construction, planning, environmental and employment issues. Our representative coverage in Nigeria includes the general and appellate courts, specialist courts such as the Investments and Securities Tribunal, and regional International courts. Our approach to dispute resolution includes supporting developments in the field and providing leadership in expanding applicable theories.
How We Can Help
- Strategic litigation analysis – Opinions and strategy development and articulation regarding potential liability. Proactive potential and pre-litigation planning – all designed to help manage risk on a global, regional and local basis.
- Superior Case Management – Continuing case analysis including facts and issues analysis, case calendaring, tracking of contact and case participants, deposition analysis, case research and timeline generation.
- Litigation services– From contractual engagements to shareholder disputes, white collar crime, securities litigation, fraud, asset tracing, to oil blocks concession disputes, we guide you through all aspects of the litigation/ arbitral process. This process includes Court/tribunal appearances, selection and management of experts, development and execution of strategy, and conduct of hearings and settlement negotiations.
- Arbitration – Our Arbitration team combines our significant and vast national expertise with our international strength, providing exceptional representation before major arbitral bodies.
- Alternative dispute resolution– Our lawyers are at the forefront of pioneering ADR techniques and, together with accredited mediators, offer a strong complement to our litigation services.
Some of the key achievements of our Dispute Resolution Group are listed below:
- Represented an indigenous oil company in respect of claims arising from the acquisition of upstream assets in OPL 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 in Nigeria’s oil industry.
- Represented an international oil company in arbitral and court proceedings against transnational security services provider regarding the extent of contractual understanding in Offshore security and charter party arrangements.
- Successful representation of a state government in corporate malfeasance/illegal clinical trial case against multinational pharmaceutical giant resulting in a $75 million settlement, the biggest settlement yet in Nigeria.
- Represented significant foreign owner of local business in dispute with the local co-owner. Extra-litigation resources deployed to address issues relating to financial reporting and working to attempt to avoid costly litigation, as well as negotiations concerning restructuring.
- Successful defence of offshore incorporated investment holding company in action instituted by belligerent devolved interest holder over shares ownership in Nigeria’s foremost telecoms operator.
- Represented sub-national governments in landmark constitutional review cases before the Nigerian Supreme Court in respect of taxation and revenue distribution between federating states and the federal government.
- Successful resolution of $10 million divestment dispute involving private equity firm and multinational partner.
- Represented various clients in election petition cases up to appellate court in the defence of some seats in the State House of Assembly, National Assembly and Governorship election in Akwa-Ibom, Benue, Edo, Kwara, Lagos and Osun recently conducted general elections.
- Represented Addax in arbitral and court proceedings against transnational security services provider regarding the extent of contractual understanding in Offshore security and charter party arrangements.
- Successful resolution of investment/divestment dispute between foreign/ local investors over ownership and management of NuMetro Media Group.
- Actively engaged in criminal litigation involving cross-border money laundering and financial crimes in banks against bank executives and management boards
- Successfully represented DWC in respect of claims arising from the inspection of Northern Offshore’s Drilling Unit Energy Searcher.
- Engaged in the defence of the claim of N250billion damages in libel suit being the largest ever claimed in tort of defamation in Nigeria
- Representing some State Governments and Federal Government of Nigeria for the claim of over N600billion as damages in trans-boarder litigation concerning Consumer protection, Tort of Product liability and Negligence against local and foreign Tobacco Companies.
- Representing a leading specialist systems integrator and ICT services company in a contractual suit against an airport regulatory authority arising from an anticipated breach of contract.
- Acting as pioneering associate in the Legal team acting for a mega bank in Nigeria with over N25billion capital base claiming for N1billion damages in libel suit.
- Representing investors in securities litigation arising from the largest public offer in Nigeria’s capital market.
- Represented an international oil company over indigenous oil company action concerning oil bloc acquisition and operation.